Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flushed with Embarrassment

Oh my goodness, it's been almost two months since I've posted.  How embarrassing!  What's really sad about my negligence is that I have so much to share.  I promise I will.  Soon.  Additionally, I've tried three new recipes since my last post!  Here they are:

Easy Pasta Casserole
I made this casserole to take to a friend's house.  I used Canadian Bacon instead of ground beef.  I think it would also be good with zucchini and the like for a vegetarian twist.  I have no idea how it tasted, but it looked good and it was certainly "easy."

Roasted Parsnips and Carrots
This gem is one of the most delicious dishes I have ever experienced.  Who knew that parsnips, when roasted, tasted like sweet little treats from Heaven?!?  AMAZING!  If you have some sort of aversion to parsnips, get over it.  This recipe is too yummy AND too easy not to give a whirl.


Skillet Chicken with Rice
I found this super easy and really inexpensive one-dish meal on page 107 of a cookbook titled "The $7 a Meal Healthy Cookbook" that I received as a Christmas gift (Thanks Elizabeth, I LOVE it!  And the apron,  THE APRON!  FANTASTIC!)  It's quick and easy and inexpensive.  Way to keep your promise Chef (and author) Susan Irby!  I used less chicken than the recipe calls for but included some black beans.  I also used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.  YUMM-O!

3 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
1 T olive oil
1 15-oz. jar salsa
3/4 C chicken broth
1/2 C green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 C quick-cooking rice
Sea salt and lemon pepper to taste

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.  Heat oil in large skillet and saute chicken until cooked, about 8 minutes.  Stir in salsa, chicken broth, and green pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in the uncooked rice.  Let stand, covered, 5 minutes until rice is cooked.  Season with salt and lemon pepper. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to try the Skillet Chicken! It sounds great! Glad you are enjoying the cookbook! It SCREAMED your name when I saw it! :)

    ReplyDelete