I mentioned on Facebook earlier this week that I spent an afternoon with the quilters. These women are 87 years old and up. And FABULOUS! They giggle and laugh and gossip and share secrets and support each other. I love them. During my time with them there was an extensive discussion surrounding the composition of one's own obituary. At first I thought, "Oh my GAWD! Only the quilters would talk about this." By the time I left I was thinking, "Why wouldn't you write your own obituary?" They're so awesome and wise and talented. And FABULOUS!
I'm finally starting to wrap my mind around all Denison has to offer. It is so very different that where we moved from. When we moved to West Des Moines I made hundreds of friends, a couple (b & j) close enough to be my sisters. Moving to Denison I've gained something different. I've gained approximately fifteen new moms and 30 new grandmas. And I love them all!
Sitting with the quilters or my other "grandmas" from around the church reminds me of my grandma. I think that you always anticipate missing your grandparents when they're gone, but I underestimated the depth to which I would miss my grandma. I am so grateful for these ladies and the hugs and encouragement and pats on the back that they offer. There are so many days that I literally ache to cry on my grandma's shoulder and tell her how I just don't know what to do and how my heart sometimes feels so heavy with longing for that baby to come along. And it never fails that she gives me a quick hug through one of my Denison grandmas. And I give thanks.
I love those Denison grandmas all taking care of my Marsha!
ReplyDelete