Friday, January 8, 2010

Heavenly Hummus!

I love, LOVE hummus.  I recently made it myself for the first time and it was SUPER EASY.  After searching and evaluating several recipes I settled on this one from the book CLEAN FOOD by Terry Walters.  I like it because it uses olive oil and tahini whereas most of the recipes I found used only one.  There is also a lot of freedom for experimentation with more, less, or additional spices.  For variety try adding some fresh chopped parsley or replacing the garbanzo beans with navy beans.  Enjoy!

Traditional Hummus

1 garlic clove, peeled
2 cups cooked chickpeas (I used canned)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons lemon juice (Even more is better)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
water

With food processor running, drop in garlic clove and process until minced.  Turn off processor, scrape down sides and add chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, cumin, lemon juice and salt.  Restart processor and slowly add water, making hummus slightly thinner than desired, as it will thicken when refrigerated.  Chill to combine flavors before serving.

1 comment: